Continuity – things happening in a continuous sequence.
- Match on Action
- Establishing Shot – the establishing shot allows the audience to get a sense of the geography of the location being filmed in.
- Cutaway – when you see something in vicinity that adds context.
- Glance/Object – when glancing at something and then showing what the character was glancing at.
- Reaction Shot – editing to display when something happens, the reaction that takes place after.
- Shot Reverse Shot
- Master Shot – a master shot puts close – ups into context, they are an establishing shot for a specific action.
Temporal Structure – how you show time passing in various ways.
- Fast Forward – where more than one seconds worth of film is put into a seconds length.
- Frame Skip
Contiguity – seeing things that are happening at the same time.
- Cross Cut/ Intercut/ Parallel – Things occurring in a parallel order.
- Action Match – movement in one scene matches movement in another scene.
- Graphic Match – picture of one thing very similar to another. For example, a record player and a car wheel.